A Girl called Annie

"but you can call me whatever you want..."

January 14, 2005

Gotta light?


Okay, so as many of you know, I've been a social, casual, whatever you want to call it, "smoker" for the past 3-4 years or so. Its actually a bad habit I picked up while in Europe the summer of 2001. Yeah, it was definetely the summer when I tried many new things..............woah, I'm getting carried away here. Anyways, even though I hardly ever buy my own pack (unless I'm going to some party or something and don't feel like bumming off people), and I probably only smoke 3-5 cigarettes a month, I wouldn't consider myself a smoker. Yikes!!!! This is the part where you say: "Annie, you're in denial!!!" And the truth is, yeah, I've been in denial for a really long time. The fact that I have really great friends who are doing a super job supporting my quitting and really helping me has been a tremendous help. As well, since I no longer do it as an "image" thing (cause we ain't in Europe anymore), I find myself hiding when I smoke, and keeping it a secret from the people I'm closest to. I feel like a loser when I smoke and I never want to be caught puffing...its SO not cool. My argument was always comparing my 5 cigarettes a month to someone who has 5 burgers a month and I personally think this person will die of heart failure before I do...however, the fact that I am not into burgers is GREAT...but the fact that I smoke even 5 cigarettes a month is STUPID. So, I've decided to check in here every week and let you know how my quitting is going and I hope that this may be an inspiration to some of you smokers out there! I need to STOP!!! I'm a pretty healthy girl right now and I'd like to stay that way (yes! I'd like to have babies one day!!!) The last cigarette I had was Jan 8th while out for Tim's bday! So wish me luck! And if anyone has any encouraging advice or tips...post them here!

Cheers,
annie!


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever need encouraging words about how to quit smoking, don't ask me. I've never had to, so I can't understand how difficult it is. But I do know this, from watching other people attempt to kick this habit, it's not easy. It's like a break-up from a serious relationship. It's a part of you, it's there when you need it, or want it, and it's even there when you don't. But denying yourself that relationship take time. With time will come solitude, and an opportunity to feel whole with out the other.

On the other hand, is there anything more cool than watching people freeze their asses off in front of a building in the middle of the winter lighting up?!?

9:47 AM  
Blogger John said...

Go Annie Go!!!! You can do it!!!!I will support you 3,000% !!!!!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bleh. Nasty habit... you're better off without it. I'm with John on this one (except that I am forced to point out that 100% is the best any of us can give). ;)

-alouzon

12:30 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Yeah Rammy,

I hear chocolate helps too..however, I don't know which is worse...smoking or eating too much chocolate. How about I stay away from both for now?

xoxox,
annie

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? 3-5 cigarettes a month!
Girl, check yourself into an addiction
center now!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Freddy,

I'm going to assume this is you...cause only you would say "girl".

Are u mocking me? 3-5 cigarettes is actually a lot...and its not the number of cigs that count...its the fact that I have a craving for them.

Quitting Update: I almost had a cigarette with Scott last night, however, thanks to the wonderful Janice....I didn't. Scott also didn't go out for a cigarette and that helped a lot too! Plus..you'd have to be fucking stupid to smoke out in that cold!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Xtina said...

See skank, you have tons of ppl on your side. You have done the best thing out there thus far...admit it to yourself AND to others! Knowing that other ppl know about your habit will hopefully help. I should get shaun to post a comment on here too. He's doing pretty good with the non smoking thing too. I'm proud of both of you.
ps, if you have a craving for chocolate, buy the low sugar, low carb ones....mmmm...chocolate mint is to dye for! ok, so they r tiny and cost a fortune, but if you really want it, thats what it will have to be!

xoxoxtina

9:05 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Hey Willie,

Thanx for the support. Actually, thats the only chocolate I've actually been having lately...the one with no sugar (however, remember...there is still fat in low-carb chocolate...so moderation is key). Yeah, I realized that the more people I can get on my back about the smoking habit, the less I will smoke. However, I don't want to make others feel they are responsible for me having or not having a cigarette...cause that is a lot of pressure on them. Yet, the support has been soooo wonderful! And I truly love u all!

xoxox,
annie!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok Annie,

Sarah luvs ya! I know you are trying! KEep it up.

MMUUUAAAA

4:03 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Last cig: January 22nd - Barking Frog. Boooo...

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home