A Girl called Annie

"but you can call me whatever you want..."

January 05, 2005

Drop Dead Stupid

Okay, just for fun...I wanted to list a few of the things that make me shake my head... roll my eyes...and even when the person next to me will have to pick up my jaw since I'm just standing there...stunned...with my mouth wide open! I think some people should check out the Sylvan Learning Centre. "Learning feels good!"

People who are constantly making the SAME stupid spelling mistakes. Like those who spell tommorow instead of tomorrow....or than when they really meant to say then. This really bothers me.

Idealism. I'll admit...I can be idealistic myself. However, I'm not sure if some people are just "setting" goals...or whether they are just in denial.

I really find it amusing during exam period (while most people are trying to study) there will be a few of those unfortunates trying to "pick up" one another. Like, if you run into a super hot person in the library...ask them if they'd like to take a break and grab a coffee. Don't sit there and have a loud and "flirty" conversation...because while these 2 people may be finding out about each other (i.e., where they're from, what program they're in, etc...), sounds romantic, huh? well everyone else around them is also finding out these facts as well. You can almost feel embarassed for them.

Drivers who pick their nose at a red light. Honestly....do these nose pickers not understand that the "inside of your vehicle" is still visible to the rest of the drivers near you? Another set of drivers who are a bunch of "winners" are those that speed on residential roads. Just FLY if you have to get there so damn quickly!

Parents who do not dress their children warm enough during the winter months. Please don't tell me that its too expensive to purchase a set of mittens or a hat or a scarf for your poor little child ($$$ dollar store $$$). Go to the salvation army if you have to and pick up a pair of gloves please.

People who share all the details pertaining to their sex lives with EVERYONE...ALL THE TIME. Unless you're my roommate or an extremely close friend of mine...I really don't want to know that you have bite marks on your tits...or that blood was sucked to the surface of your skin on your neck, and then ask me if I'd like to see the markings. Thanks, but no thanks.

"You can pretend to be serious; you can’t pretend to be witty."


10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amen my poon sista!

xoxo

1:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah and Bryan said...

Hey Anna,

I sooooo get what you're saying....the same things really get to me too!

XO - Sarah

3:35 PM  
Blogger John said...

Anna!
A-freakin-men to the LAST one. A DOUBLE thumbs up on that!!!! Those people drive me nuts, especially if you ever have to work with them.
As for the rest, booya to the red-light-nose-picker. That shit don't fly.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently found a guy online who is very, very consistently wrong:
"I'm vary tired"
"it's over thare"
"ware do you work?"
and so on... man, it annoyed the hell out of me, and their/there/they're used to bug me a shitload as well... but - you see - it's just another form of social relativism.

It used to be the case that calligraphy was taught in school, and if you couldn't write nicely you were probably an uneducated pig or really stupid. These days, awful handwriting is rampant but no one cares. Calligraphy became obsolete - almost a dead art form. Spelling will take the same path. Even acceptable verbal speech constantly changes - we sure don't talk like they did back in the Victorian days. Computer chatting/text messaging has almost turned into its own dialect of english, along with ebonics and australian english and so on.

"Correct" spellings of words changes over time, and it probably always originates with some group of ignorant people publicly displaying their ignorance (either intentionally or otherwise.) Take the word "nite" for example... where the fuck did that come from? open "late nite" ? Or how about "Miller Lite"... Yes, they were fuckign retards, but now those spellings are almost considered currect... correct enough to appear in some dictionaries, but still too new so they are referenced as "informal" spellings of "night" and "light."

Futurama takes place in 1000 years from now, and the character from present time had an interesting change of words in a certain episode, where he mentions "Christmas."

Everyone else: What's that?
Fry: You know, [spelling it out] 'X' 'M' 'A' 'S'
Leela: Oh, you mean "exmas." You must be using an archaic pronounciation, like how you say "Ask" instead of "Aks."

And, while I'm quoting Futurama, I'll give another Christmas episode quote involving social relativism:
Fry is trying to tell people that their palm tree is not a christmas tree, and that a Christmas tree should be something like a pine tree.
Professor: "The pine tree became extinct over 300 years ago... gone the way of the poodle and your primitive notions of modesty"
Then the professor removes his labcoat and walks around naked, as do several other people later in the episode.

Ah, the humour...
J in Edmonton

7:40 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Hey J,

I agree with you to a certain degree, however, I think that when people mispell things most of the time...they are too lazy to actually pay their work any attention (and not in the same case as when we type XMAS or nite...its simply just because they're quicker to type or write out...) or they truly do not know the difference between THAN and THEN or TO and TOO. I think that if you make this mistake once in a while...its okay (though unfortunate), however, I have seen some of the same people spell things incorrectly time and again - like TOMMORROW...oh god..I think thats the worst one I've seen. I don't know why...but its something that should have been corrected in grade 3 or something.

cheers!
annie

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie,
you're not agreeing with me at all - I'm simply saying that spelling is becoming obsolete and that, eventually, it will not really matter how people spell as long as the right message comes across.

Now you could argue that using "their" instead of "there" totally changes the meaning of a message, as well as an improperly placed comma or apostrophe, but we would have to take a step further back and ask how a sentence (even a properly formed sentence) conveys any meaning at all. People don't think in english or any other language, but english sentences are able to create mental images in people's minds, and the type of image formed by people will vary from person to person, so how can we be sure that a (properly formed) sentence will even convey the intended meaning?

3:12 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Hey J,

I see what you're saying. However, all I'm trying to say is that people are becoming lazy with their spelling (which, if its easier for them, so be it)...but I think the main problem is that some people really just don't know they're wrong...they're truly ignorant. For some reason, that bothers me. LOL.

:)
annie

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just something you'll have to learn to get over :)
(It used to bother the hell out of me that people wouldn't know how to factor cubic polynomials, but now I don't give a shit whether they can or can't do long division.)

J in Edm

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Home decor and garden art Victoria s secret lingerie Chronic+back+pain+relief Make a cell phone antenna http://www.skin-rejuvenation-care.info/recent-business-press-on-proactiv.html Propecia stays body The best skin care company Used car dealer license Online scrabble solitare Electrical pressure washer Dirty blonde lesbian playboy playmates http://www.fast-weight-loss-6.info/Internetmarketing.html Florida holder accutane legal Vessel sink glass sink vessel faucet safe sex in the hot tub Hair loss women synthroid Ranch coats on sale or clearance samsung scd353 minidv camcorder w20x optical zoom Currency trading software 0 0270 retail merchant account

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home