A Girl called Annie

"but you can call me whatever you want..."

May 17, 2005

Star Wars and Politics

I was reading The Globe yesterday (May 16th) and I came across a very intersting article in the Review.

The Cannes film festival took place this past Sunday, in which the new Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, had its world premiere. As I kept reading the review it all kind of bored me until I reached a paragraph in which the political implications of the current movie were discussed. Keep in mind that the 28-year-long, six-movie cycle had its inception back in the Vietnam era. Lucus mentions that "the parallels to Iraq are unbelievable!", however, the political inspiration was Nixon and the war. What I found particularly interesting about this section was that I was finally able to see another side of Star Wars that I had missed all this time. Not that I care too much for Star Wars, I mean of course it can be entertaining at times (especially when curled up on the couch with a very handsome and entertaining person - hee hee), and the older episodes from the 70s and 80s brings me back to my sweet childhood, however, I was able to think about a very interesting political issue, that interestingly enough, can be seen throughout much of history. I mean, if you take a quick look at history, you will ask: why did the senate, after killing Caesar, give the empire to his successor? Or why did the French, after overthrowing the aristocracy, cede power to Napoleon? So when you sit down and watch Star Wars anytime soon, ask yourself:

"how does a democracy turn itself over to a dictator?"

6 Comments:

Blogger Peter Thurley said...

The easy answer... When you elect someone with the initials GWB.

The longer and much superior answer is yet to come ;)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Pete, you know i'll be counting on you for a more superior answer! hehe.

:)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Alouzen, I agree with the latter part of your agreement, It is usually because they are not aware of the dangers. How sad :(

11:47 PM  
Blogger John said...

Star Wars opens tonight! I am in Edmonton!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Good answer Ramsey!

However, what about the U.S.? haha. I don't think we can say they were AS desperate as the German people. Perhaps just more stupid???

:)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Hey Colleen,

I think such a system is excellent, because then citizens would take more initiative in finding out which party they actually believe in. I believe those that do not vote simply do not know enough about the political situation in their country, or on which side they stand with, whether conservative or liberal. Whether such a system would be more accurate I do not know. But at least the country will have leaders that the "majority" (for real this time) voted for.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home