A Girl called Annie

"but you can call me whatever you want..."

September 13, 2006

I've Started School...

Some people admire the way the music box has been painted, with all its fine details.
Others are fascinated by the way it works on the inside, how everything clinks and clanks.
Myself? I am interested only in the music that comes from the box...and how it makes me feel.

Well duhh, but of course, you say.

Last night I attended my first class in my graduate program. The entire lecture consisted of introductions and what we'll be doing throughout the year...blah blah blah. As I sat there and listened to everyone introduce themselves...I thought to myself: wow, I think I'd be very interested in becoming this..or that. Everyone came into the program with very diverse backgrounds and experiences. Everyone was fascinating...determined....and everyone has different goals, that were quite inspiring to say the least. Since I am in a psychology program, it seems only obvious that I would be interested in the way the music box makes me feel...or what it reminds me of. And I have been this way since I was a child...well perhaps since I was a young adolescent..maybe 14 or 15.

I do not know too many people who have known what they've wanted since they were that young. I also do not know too many people who have been best friends since they were kids, or who have stayed true to their religious, political and even moral beliefs for that long.

However, I can say that I have always been interested in what I'm studying...and I am still best friends with some of the same people since I was quite young...and as for my religious, political and moral beliefs...well I used to think that the Easter bunny was religion and that moving away from home before you were married was immoral..so I guess some things change...but my point is that I have faith that certain things remain constant...and I have taken these things for granted. How boring, you might say. But no, change is good. Its just that I have come to realize that some things are a part of you no matter how much you try to change them....and this is why I am comforted to know that some things are eternal, no matter what.

What beliefs or things in your life have you held on to since you can remember thinking about them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home