A Girl called Annie

"but you can call me whatever you want..."

July 12, 2006

I remember sitting in lecture, overwhelmed with ideas and questions, feeling like I could make a difference. Be heard for once. Feeling like I could change the world.

Don't all students feel as if they are the ones who will change the world?

A part of me has disappeared, that bright light in me seems to have faded, that light that would change the world. Was I just fooling myself? Did I really think I was so bright? So driven? So passionate?

What am I doing to myself? Where did I go?

What am I currently learning about? What am I "keeping up with?" What new things have I learned about recently?

I've come to realize that I want more out of my life. I want the stability of a 9-5 job, but the flexibility to do what I want with my passion.

Do you remember graduating high school? University/College? Do you remember that pride you felt during those speeches? That overwhelming feeling that took you by surprise and left tears in your eyes? It gave you that push that you would go on.

I would go on.

And do better things.

I will make a difference, even if it is to change only one person's life.

I am the day dreamer, the fool who keeps on believing she can change the world, the hopeless girl who has not forgotten. I will go on somehow...and I will change something. I will make something better.

Even if they do not notice. I do not care.




9 Comments:

Blogger Mark Raghu said...

Hey Annie,

I totally agree with your sentiments; in fact I alluded to this in one of my recent blogs. I consider myself lucky to still feel as if I can change the world, and personally, I never want that desire to learn to ever go away.

You keep dreaming up ways to make your dreams reality!!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Peter Thurley said...

My friends and family have a tendency to laugh at my youthful idealism, my intense desire to have an impaqct and change the world. I know that most youths have such a desire, and as life wears on, reality sets in and the mundane necessities of life take over. I think the catch is that you can't let them take over. Always fight. I rthink the hardest part of this last year is the intense futility of the working life. I need to do something big, to have an impact. But loading trucks of weiners does nothing to contribute; I only contribute to the widening of Canadian waistlines.

Annie, never lose that desire to change the world, one person at a time. Dreamers like us can't let the annoying realism of the grown-ups trample on the hidden reality that we CAN make a difference.

When talking of my lifes goals, I often say I'm going to be Prime Minister. I usually get a snort and a laugh and then a 'seriously, what are you going to do with your Philosophy degree?" To which I reply: "Be Prime Minister." See, if people know you have big dreams, and they know you are serious, that puts the pressure on you to carry through. And then you have no excuse for going small and settling back into the mundane middle class comfortable life.

We can change the world Annie!!!

< / daydream>

5:12 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Thanks for replying guys.

"the mundane necessities of life take over"

This is how I feel Peter. I do feel like I have pulled myself away from all I was learning, even though I know that everyday at work I am learning something new.

I am excited to begin school once again and perhaps find new perspectives once again, feel motivated to do something "big."

Hugs,
Annie

2:37 PM  
Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

Sounds like you have a great attitude. I believe that there are tons of opportunties to make a difference as long as you keep focused. It might also be because i'm a student ;)

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep laughing...in the face of self doubt in the face of doubt laugh your ass off.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

thanks mikey!

hugs,
annie

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you've changed my life Annie.. even if that's not the heights you aspired to, it means the world to me! You ARE my life, and it will never be the same again.. which is a GREAT thing!

I love what you've taught me, and what we've shared, and I am a better person for all of that.

Whatever dreams you wnat to follow, I'll always be behind you on them, babe.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Glad to be of service!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Virus scan torrent Lipitor bad affects Powerful magnetic therapy pain relief

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home